last update: 2019 01 30
Well known examples:
In my case:
I get belly ache and mouth ulcers from products with mint or chlorophyll taste.
Carrots promote panic attacks.
Probably it is related to falcarinol and falcarindiol.
- I have been intoxicated twice with strong nausea until I had to vomit 1 or 2 hours after ingestion. Nausea set in within minutes. I still do not know what it was. It had an acrid toxic taste. Maybe a glycoalkaloid from potatoes. Nobody else was affected.
Genetically engineered vegan food without allergens and toxins is the future of food.
Sufficient intake of these nutrients is NOT guaranteed despite enough food:
Enough of each of the 13 vitamins.
Vitamin B12 is not contained in most plants.
Enough of each of the 2 essential fatty acids.
Namely alpha-Linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) and linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid).
AFAIK linseed oil (flaxseed oil) is a good provider of essential fatty acids but maybe not a sufficient provider of conditionally essential fatty acids like e.g. EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) or DHA (docosahexaenoic acid).
- Enough of each required mineral.
Enough dietary fibers.
Foods of animal origin do NOT contain dietary fibre.
The Five to One Fiber Rule (2015-12-16). Carbohydrates divided by fiber content should be lower than 5.
Is the Fiber Theory Wrong? (2015-12-18). Not only fiber but whole vegan food is beneficial.
Dietary Fiber: The Most Important Nutrient? (2013-10-15).
Gut bacteria and the brain: Are we controlled by microbes? (2016-09-07).
Your gut is directly connected to your brain, by a newly discovered neuron circuit (2018-09-20). Related discussion (2018-09-23).
Q&A on the carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat.
Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets (2009-07).
Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets (2016-12).
Nutrition concerns and health effects of vegetarian diets. (2010-12).
Dietary experts worldwide recommend a high-carb whole food vegan diet with supplements to ensure the intake of enough essential nutrients.
Vitamin B12 is not contained in most plants and should be obtained from modern vitamin supplements.
Benefits of Vitamin B12.
Vitamin D3 can be produced by the body only if exposed to enough UV B light.
How UV Causes Cancer and Aging (2018-09-04).
- Vitamin D supplements don't help bone health, major study concludes (2018-10-04).
The Big Vitamin D Mistake (2017-05-10).
The new recommendations of daily intake:
- This could lead to a recommendation of 1000 IU for children <1 year on enriched formula and 1500 IU for breastfed children older than 6 months, 3000 IU for children >1 year of age, and around 8000 IU for young adults and thereafter. Actions are urgently needed to protect the global population from vitamin D deficiency.
- Since 10 000 IU/d is needed to achieve 100 nmol/L , except for individuals with vitamin D hypersensitivity, and since there is no evidence of adverse effects associated with serum 25(OH)D levels <140 nmol/L, leaving a considerable margin of safety for efforts to raise the population-wide concentration to around 100 nmol/L, the doses we propose could be used to reach the level of 75 nmol/L or preferably 100 nmol/L. Of course, these recommended doses can be individualized based on dietary and sun exposure habits and the latitude of the country, and they can also be adjusted according to body mass index, age, and skin color, with obese, elderly, and dark-skinned people needing higher doses.
Milton Mills, MD: Are Humans Designed to Eat Meat? (2016-02-23), time 66.
The Comparative Anatomy of Eating by Milton R. Mills, M.D. (2009-11-21).
Omnivore or Herbivore?
- Dr Garth Davis: Americans have become obsessed with Protein (2015-10-28).
- Dean Ornish, M.D. at TEDxSF (7 Billion Well) (2012-11-17).
- Making Heart Attacks History: Caldwell Esselstyn at TEDxCambridge 2011 (2012-01-09).
- Tackling diabetes with a bold new dietary approach: Neal Barnard at TEDxFremont 2012 (2012-12-04).
Why Doctors Don't Recommend A Vegan Diet | Dr. Michael Greger (2015-05-17).
Full speech: From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases With Food (2014-08-01).
- What I Wish I Was Taught In Medical School (2018-12-23).
How Not To Die: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers (2016-06-05).
- Is a Whole Food Plant-Based Diet an Answer to Chronic Disease? 2017 Documentary (2017-07-10).
- WHY I QUIT PALEO KETOGENIC DIET & WENT PLANT-BASED - Dr. Lim (2017-08-09).
- WHY LOW CARB DIETS ARE A SCAM (2016-11-30).
3 NUTRITION STUDIES THAT WILL TURN YOU VEGAN OVERNIGHT (2018-07-31).
Top 10 MIND-BLOWING Vegan Transformations (2018-05-31).
9 Nutrition Studies Every Ketogenic Dieter NEEDS To Read (2018-06-18).
Iceland palm oil advert: petition launched for ban to be overturned (2018-11-10).
Petition calling for Christmas ad ban to be lifted attracts 660,000 signatures (2018-11-12).
Needless extinction of species including Orangutans for palm oil for food and fuel (2018-11-13).
How palm oil ban has made the EU a dirty word in Malaysia (2018-04-25). Mic. the Vegan.
Notably: I Thought We Required Animal Protein....
PLANT BASED NEWS.
Notably: WHY LOW CARB DIETS ARE A SCAM. COWSPIRACY (2014).
I do not know if all claims made in the movie are correct.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by sector from ourworldindata.org.
THE WIDOWMAKER (2015).
WHAT THE HEALTH (2017).
VEGAN 2017 - The Film (2017-11-28).
VEGAN 2018 - The Film (2018-11-28).
THE GAME CHANGERS. Omnivore or Herbivore?
The Comparative Anatomy of Eating by Milton R. Mills, M.D. (2009-11-21).
The Case Against Eating Fish (2017-05-31).
Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds (2010-11-08).
"I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."
Here Are The People Coca-Cola Has Paid To Manufacture Health Claims.
Fat Consumption is the Only Cause of Weight Gain (2018-07-14).
Scientists from the University of Aberdeen and the Chinese Academy of Sciences have undertaken the largest study of its kind looking at what components of diet – fat, carbohydrates or protein – caused mice to gain weight.
Professor John Speakman, who led the study, said: “The result of this enormous study was unequivocal – the only thing that made the mice get fat was eating more fat in their diets.
“Carbohydrates including up to 30% of calories coming from sugar had no effect. Combining sugar with fat had no more impact than fat alone. There was no evidence that low protein (down to 5%) stimulated greater intake, suggesting there is no protein target. These effects of dietary fat seemed to be because uniquely fat in the diet stimulated the reward centres in the brain, stimulating greater intake.
“A clear limitation of this study is that it is based on mice rather than humans. However, mice have lots of similarities to humans in their physiology and metabolism, and we are never going to do studies where the diets of humans are controlled in the same way for such long periods. So the evidence it provides is a good clue to what the effects of different diets are likely to be in humans.”
Notably: Feeding Vegetarian and Vegan Infants and Toddlers